Some days are great, others are not...but no matter what twists and turns I encounter, you can be sure I'm going to write about it!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It's up to you New York...NEW YORK!

A good friend, and a great person, left on a jet plane to a new country. She will return in a couple of years, but she began the adventure of a lifetime. An adventure I would have LOVED to partake in myself (but I need to remind myself, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence). I have always wondered why people stay in Minnesota. I know it's not a bad state. I love the fact that there are four seasons. I hate that the winter DRAGS out. I love our parks, and the nightlife. But again...I hate the winters!
With the temporary parting of my friend, I have come to the realization why I have stayed in Minnesota. Fear. The fear of not being able to make it (financially) in a new environment. The fear of not being able to thrive socially in a sea of people who live on familiarity. Lets face it, people like normalcy, and are (for the most part) opposed to change, albeit social or otherwise.
I was ready to face my fear...and a month after making a firm decision in my mind to place myself in the center of New York City, I found out I was pregnant. My dreams of experiencing life through the eyes of New York faded, almost as quickly as they had come.
I still wonder if I could manage moving to NYC. Even with a little-one. I think it would be such an awesome adventure. I wonder if I would have actually gone through with it. I still can't answer that one. I am very close with my family (most days) and I don't know if I would have the strength to leave my friends. Granted, NYC still experiences weather, but it seems a lot more glamorous than MN. I'd like to believe that I would have taken the plunge.

1 comment:

  1. if you can make it there, you can make it (dum dum) anyWHERE!

    ReplyDelete