Some days are great, others are not...but no matter what twists and turns I encounter, you can be sure I'm going to write about it!

Monday, March 9, 2009

Sublime

sub·lime
Pronunciation: \sə-ˈblīm\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): sub·limed; sub·lim·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French sublimer, from Medieval Latin sublimare to refine, sublime, from Latin, to elevate, from sublimis
Date: 14th century
transitive verb
1: to cause to pass directly from the solid to the vapor state and condense back to solid form
2: [French sublimer, from Latin sublimare] a (1): to elevate or exalt especially in dignity or honor (2): to render finer (as in purity or excellence) b: to convert (something inferior) into something of higher worth

Definition 3: Most amazing band EVER.

Recently, at a party with a bunch of friends, I dragged the Sublime, Sublime cd out of my car for the party to enjoy. It was worth every cold step from the warmth of the house to my car and back. I haven't been able to pinpoint what makes Sublime's music so awesome. Once the cd was in, the volume was blasted and more than half of the party found themselves bopping their heads and shouting out the words.

This morning, I introduced little man to the awe-inspiring tunes of Sublime. Since I haven't decided if I'm going to run for "Mom of the Year" I took the liberty of shouting out non-naughty words when the curse words came across the speakers. Little man was entranced. It was quite a lot of fun to watch him. He even tried singing some words too.

Moments like this make me wonder what the today's kids have to hold onto for music. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/09/rihanna-may-testify-against-chris-brown Sad. I hope some high school senior has an older sibling, aunt or uncle who shows them the ways of Sublime.

1 comment:

  1. Most. Awesome. Band. Ever. Philip and I introduced Nate to it in the womb (headphones around my belly style). We listen to it in the car and he "sings" along. That's when I thought I may have to find the edited version (as well as many other bands-like RHCP). Do I really want him talking about a 1-8-7 on a muthafukin' cop, or telling his teacher to suck his kiss? Whatever, it's better than listening to Barney or Raffi or those freaky freaky Wiggles.

    ReplyDelete