Some days are great, others are not...but no matter what twists and turns I encounter, you can be sure I'm going to write about it!

Friday, March 13, 2009

Shopping for...?

It's not often I receive great advice. I'm the person who generally talks so much, and has crazy stories to tell that throw people off of their game. Half of the time the advice given to me goes in one ear and out the other because how could someone else I know POSSIBLY understand what I've gone through? (Yeah, I'm not proud of the fact that I do this...it's just the way I am!).

I've stated a few times in the past that friends are the family you get to choose. It's not often I encounter a friend who is outright willing to challenge my thoughts or approach tonight.

Last night, a good friend gave me a bit of advice that was extremely thought provoking. It was about men. Her words were "I think it's wrong that women spend more time on picking out a new car than they do choosing a man to be in a relationship with. A man that (if they so choose) will be inside of them. A man that has the potential to hurt them. Women need to be picky. They need to be courted. Being courted is a powerful thing that women have over men, and they (women) need to realize..." Ok, so that quote was a combo/paraphrase of our conversation last night, but it REALLY got me thinking.

When I initially responded to her, she told me I was getting defensive because her words rang true to me. I don't deny it. I don't deny it one bit.

I've let men into my life that I shouldn't. Heck, I've even let people or "friends" into my life that I shouldn't have. I've grown from my mistakes, and am becoming more self confident with who I will and will not allow into my life. The me six years ago is far different from the me today...and I'm proud of that fact.

Growing up, I can't recall my mom telling me to be careful with guys. I can't remember one conversation where she stated I needed to be picky. I'm not saying she didn't think it, because I know my mom loves me and cares about me. I feel so lucky to have a friend willing to say something so genuine and thoughtful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment