Some days are great, others are not...but no matter what twists and turns I encounter, you can be sure I'm going to write about it!

Saturday, November 3, 2012

To the Katies

Growing up, my parents nailed the thought expectation into my small brain that I would Graduate. From. College.

Must to my surprise, when it came time for me to select my post secondary institution I was faced with a tumultuous family situation (spell: divorce), and really really REALLY wanted to take some time to not go to school and figure my life out.  My mom saw things differently, and through many screaming matches I heard her words and enrolled in a school far enough away, but still within the border of Minnesota (read: UMD, the school the majority of city kids attend, if only for one year).

Since that path led me down some moments of failure, I took some time to reevaluate where I was heading.  My reevaluation wasn't the most scholarly at times, and I would often wind up bellied up to a watering hole drinking my weight in a local brew, then making a fool of myself before the night was over, I digress. 

One thing led to another, and I soon found myself a single mother, without a college education. 

I knew I needed to give my life reevaluation a second shot.  I churned my neurons to figure out a way for me to successfully raise baby boy, and afford him the many luxuries I was afforded growing up.  Since providing a father for him didn't pan out, I needed to get my education back on track. 

St. Kate's was and always will be a place of sanctity, peace, serenity (the list goes on...really).  It's an environment founded on an awesome liberal foundation.  It welcomed my single motherhood with judgement free arms, provided me with an awesome mentor who has been nothing but my own personal and professional cheerleader. 

The professors are passionate about their teachings.  The classmates are wonderful, respectful women who promote a safe, academic, challenging, and fulfilling learning environment. 

I know I'm still a good two years away from earning enough credits to have my bachelor's degree, but I've already decided I'll be a "Katie" for life. 

So today, a shout-out to all of the Katies out there!  Keep on rockin in the free world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment