Some days are great, others are not...but no matter what twists and turns I encounter, you can be sure I'm going to write about it!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Garden Update!

I'm completely geeked out about my vegetable garden this year!! As of this past weekend, I've officially planted everything that my little heart has desired. Here's what's in the dirt:
  • four sugar snap peas (one sprouted)
  • four green beans
  • one beef steak tomato
  • one roma tomato
  • one sweet 100 tomato
  • three rows of lettuce (all sprouted and coming up beautifully)
  • one row of carrots, sprouted
  • one green pepper
  • one red pepper
  • one mild jalapeno
  • four rows of onions, two walla walla, two spanish sweet
  • two eggplants
  • one rosemary*

The water source we have is what we can carry over to the garden, as they're having technical difficulty with the spout on the building next to the garden...but I'm ok with the extra effort.

So far, the garden has been an amazing teaching tool for little man. The other day, I asked him what we used to water the garden. He logically responded with water. Then, I asked him if we used soda to water the garden, and he rolled his eyes and said of course not. I posed the question, "Why don't we use soda to water our garden?" to which he had no answer, so I explained how water makes things grow, plants or people...so if he wanted to grow big and strong he'd have to drink a lot of water. The idea has stuck with him, and I couldn't be happier.

*we also have 6" pots of basil and cilantro growing in our kitchen..this summer is going to be fresh and delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment