Some days are great, others are not...but no matter what twists and turns I encounter, you can be sure I'm going to write about it!

Monday, November 9, 2009

Clean Sweep.

I'm not afraid to admit that I loathe cleaning. It's a task I find extremely mundane, and boring...and I always have better things to do than to sit at home and clean, which is why my home is usually is shambles.
For the past month, I've been particularly HORRIBLE at doing simple chores like picking up the house, laundry, doing the dishes, etc. I felt justified since every weekend for the past month I have dealt with a sickness of my own, or a sick little man.
For as much as I HATE cleaning, I approached this weekend with a spark of cleaning motivation. I had made a list that is LITERALLY two pages long, and was determined to cross two things off of the list (note: each "thing" is a sub-list of about ten things).
I started with my kitchen, rationalizing that it's the first room you see when you enter my place. One by one, I emptied each and every cupboard, scrubbing the bottom surfaces, decided what I wanted to toss and what I wanted to keep. Since my kitchen is relatively small, I only had to go through four cupboards. Once finished with mission cupboard clean/organize, I moved onto the dreaded ABOVE the cupboards (note: my kitchen cabinets sit a foot below my ceiling, making them the perfect spot to collect random odd things...and copious amounts of gunk).
My kitchen now sits clean, decluttered, de-gunked, and smelling fresh. I love it. I still feel very overwhelmed with the tasks that are remaining on my list...but at least I've started.

Are you a cleaner? Do you loathe cleaning as much as I do?

1 comment:

  1. I hate cleaning. Mike and I had a cleaning day on Sunday, and after I picked up clutter for 45 minutes, I turned to him and said, "I'm bored, let's stop cleaning."

    Luckily he's not as lazy as me and pushed on until we had scrubbed, dusted and vacuumed too.

    ReplyDelete