Some days are great, others are not...but no matter what twists and turns I encounter, you can be sure I'm going to write about it!

Friday, October 2, 2009

The Odds.

A while back, I had a conversation with a fellow blogger about the odds of winning the powerball. She insisted the odds were one...and of COURSE I told her she was wrong.

So, who was actually right? We both were. While she was arguing the odds being one, my argument was that the odds were more than just one, for example one in (insert whatever HUGE number here).

Whenever the Powerball gets really really high (over 120 mil.) my office does a five dollar buy-in. I normally don't participate because:
1. I'm cheap.
2. I usually don't have the money to participate (even though it's only five dollars)
3. I feel like it's kind of a waste of five dollars.

Me being the scholarly person that I am, googled the odds of winning the powerball to feel better about myself....here's the site I found: http://www.durangobill.com/PowerballOdds.html

The site says the odds of one number winning are one in blah blah blah for the dollar amount you're trying to win. It's really interesting (at least to the geek inside of me).

Warning: The powerball explanation site contains a LOT of math, and a LOT of numbers...the last sentence in each section explains what the numbers mean...and if I can figure it out, I'm sure you can too!

The chances that I'll win the current Powerball is Zero. After all, you have to buy a ticket to win.*

*I'm sure someone I know will ACTUALLY win since I'm adamantly NOT buying a ticket...if so, please don't forget the little people (aka ME!).

1 comment: